Advantages and disadvantages of magnetic particle test
The main advantages of magnetic particle testing:
- Find flaws on the surface and near surfaces
- Fast examination method with an immediate result
- An easy method as compared to other NDT methods
- Portable and low-cost equipment.
- Defects are visible directly on the surface.
- Relatively safe method.
- Hot testing can be performed using dry particles.
- The shape and size of the cracks are indicated.
- Less training requirements.
Disadvantages of Magnetic Particle Inspection:
The major drawbacks of magnetic particle examination are
- MPI is limited only for ferromagnetic materials like steels, cast irons, etc. Non-ferrous materials, cannot be inspected.
- The inspection is limited to small sections only. The examination of large parts may require the use of special equipment.
- Equipment must be calibrated, with no permanent record of the result.
- Before inspection thick paints (>0.005″) shall be removed.
- Post cleaning and demagnetization are normally required.
- Magnetic flux and indications must be aligned for proper results.
- Access may be a problem for the magnetizing equipment.
- Testing in two perpendicular directions required.
Haihao Group could provide multifarious NDT methods for your piping products.You could choose the one you prefer.Email:email@example.com