Differences between ASTM A106 and ASTM A53 pipe
ASTM A106 and ASTM A53 are most commonly used carbon steel pipe types in industry today,and they’re very similar.However,they still have differences:ASTM A106 can only applies to seamless steel pipes,whereas ASTM A53 can either be seamless steel pipes or welded pipes.
ASTM A106 is material specification for seamless carbon steel pipe,intended for high temperature and high-pressure service, such as power generation. Pipe of NPS 1 1/2″ and under may be either hot finished or cold drawn. Unless specified,pipe on and over NPS 2″ shall be furnished hot finished,while A53 is not.ASTM A106 has three grades,which are Grade A,Grade B and Grade C.Almong them ASTM A106 Grade B seamless steel pipes are the most commonly used.
ASTM A53 is a general steel pipe specification which covers galvanized pipe and black pipe.It is available in seamless,ERW longitudinal seam pipe,and furnace welded. A53 pipe is suitable for transport of air,water,steam and oil in low and medium pressure applications.It’s also commonly used as structural steel.ASTM A53 has two grades:Grade A,Grade B,and it has three types:Type E(electric-resistance welded steel pipes),Type F(furnace welded steel pipes),Type S(seamless steel pipes).
Chemical composition of ASTM A53 pipes and ASTM A106 pipes:
The chemical composition difference between ASTM A106 and ASTM A53 can be obtained from the following table:
1. A106 contains silicon,min. 0.10% where A53 has zero%,and silicon is the important element for improving the heat resistance criteria.
2. They have different levels of manganese
3. A106 contains low sulfur and phosphorus,max. 0.035% where A53 contains 0.05 and 0.045% respectively.
|ASTM A53||Grade A||0.25||0.95||0.05||0.045||0.40||0.40||0.40||0.15||0.08||–|
|ASTM A106||Grade A||0.25||0.27-0.93||0.035||0.035||0.40||0.40||0.40||0.15||0.08||0.10|
|Grade B||0.30||0.29- 1.06||0.035||0.035||0.40||0.40||0.40||0.15||0.08||0.10|
ASTM A106 Notes:
- Total of Cr, Cu, Mo, Ni, and V shall not exceed 1%;
- If the carbon content is lower than the stipulated maximum carbon content, the content of manganese in A106 seamless steel tube can be increased by 0.06% above the stipulated maximum manganese content for every 0.01% reduction of carbon content, but the maximum content shall not exceed 1.35%.
Mechanical properties of ASTM A53 pipes and ASTM A106 pipes:
|Grade A||Grade B||Grade C|
|ASTM A53||Tenside strength, min, psi (MPa)||48000(330)||60000(415)||–|
|Yield strength, min, psi (MPa)||30000(205)||35000(240)||–|
|ASTM A106||Tenside strength, min, psi (MPa)||48000(330)||60000(415)||70000(485)|
|Yield strength, min, psi (MPa)||30000(205)||35000(240)||40000(275)|
At Hebei Haihao Group,our experienced sales person are trained to help buyers in deciding which kind of pipe, such as A106 or A53 is the right kind for your application. Attentive service and fast delivery are what we can always offer you.Email:email@example.com